Romanian Air Force Mission
Romanian Air Force Structure
Leadership
Doctrine
 
Search in site
 
Air Force Officer Training School
"AUREL VLAICU"
   
Commander
  In 1911, there were two pilot training schools in Bucharest where the first military pilots were licensed: second lieutenant Stefan Protopopescu, second lieutenant Gh. Negrescu, second lieutenant Mircea Zorileanu and second lieutenant Nicolae Capsa. Teaching methods were very modern considering that the first Romanian pilots learned how to fly an airplane using the plane-trainers built in Chitila workshops. Those airplanes were single-seated and the trainees had to fly them alone without an instructor to control the flight.
In 1912, April 1st, the first Military Pilot School was established under Major Ion Macri command, the second flying school in the world (the first was created in the Great Britain). The second Romanian school "Flying School for Military and Civilian Pilots" was open by Valentin Bibescu also in 1912, August 1st, within Baneasa Airport. Both schools had a fruitful and glorius activity, succeding in training and licensing about 100 military pilots in a relatively short period of time (1912-1918).

During the World War I, Military Aviation School was evacuated for a time to Tecuci, then Birlad, Botosani and Odessa.
Between the two WW, in Buharest, at Cotroceni a training school for flying officers operated, while Flight Traing Military School in Tecuci and War Pilots Improvement School in Buzau were establishsed. This last one aimed at the clear task to improve flying skills of the graduated pilots from Cotroceni and Tecuci. It was first a 2-year course and, after 1930, a 3-year course as the modernizing process the air equipment was subjected to and the increasing combat requirements asked for improved skills and a higher training level. Learning process included training modules structured according to the proficiency: basic training with Morane-109 and higher training with fighters (Focker D-111, Spad-61) or reconnaissance airplanes (Potez-15). In Constantza also operated a school for bombers.
In 1940 Military Aviation Schools in Tecuci and Buzau moved to Zilistea - Boboc airfield, land donated by Alexandru Marghiloman to airmen rewarded with “Virtutea Aeronautica” Order. When Romania entered the war for national unification in 1941, June 22nd, the pilots deployed on this airfield had the honor to accomplish the first mission - bombing the northern and southern area of Kishinev.

After the World War II, according to the conditions imposed by the Allied Control Committee, Military Aviation Schools were disbanded.
Starting in 1948, new military aviation schools were established in Sibiu, Medias and Tecuci.
In 1953, authorities changed the name of the Military Aviation School no.1 in Tecuci with Air Force Officer School “Aurel Vlaicu” and in 1958 it moved again to Boboc - Buzau, thus becoming an officer higher educational school with 4-year courses, training both civil and military pilots, flying and non-flying personnel.
Anticommunist Revolution in December 1989 raised new perspectives for the the establishment. In 1991, the School transformed into Air Military Institute "Aurel Vlaicu", and since 1997 it has transformed into today Air Force Application School “Aurel Vlaicu”. Air Force Academy “Henri Coanda” in Brasov has taken over the tasks concerning the academic grooming of the future air force officers.
In 2004, August 1st, as a result of the air forces transformation and re-sizing, the establishment changed its name into Air Force Application School and included the three specific to air forces branches: air force, artillery and ground-to-air missile, and radar.

For more information please visit the web page of the Air Force Officer Training School
 
 
 
  Links   Site map   Download   AF Magazine    Museum   Contact
Copyright © 2010 - Romanian Air Force. All rights reserved.